Notice Santécom: 126370
The purpose of the diagnostic evaluation of breast cancer is to confirm or rule out suspected cancer following an abnormal screening test or in the presence of clinical signs or symptoms. Tomosynthesis could be of added value in the diagnostic evaluation of breast cancer. It could also play a role at other stages in the continuum of care for breast cancer patients.
A series of recommendations are made regarding the appropriateness of using tomosynthesis in the following settings:
- diagnosing breast cancer;
- preoperative evaluation;
- localization during breast biopsies;
- evaluating margins and surgical specimens;
- surveillance after breast cancer treatment; and
- surveillance of patients with a current or past history of breast cancer.